Tuesday, March 2, 2010

first dance time!

B and I practiced our first dance routine for weeks. We hired a local dance instructor to come to our tiny house and choreograph something simple for us, and it was such a good decision. I never would have done a first dance if we hadn't had lessons! Picking our song was really easy, as it is one of our favorites. We used lyrics from this song on our invitations and programs and everywhere. The lyrics mean so much to me, I can't even describe it. I'll post them for you instead:

I'll be your mirror
Reflect what you are, in case you don't know
I'll be the wind, the rain and the sunset
The light on your door to show that you're home

When you think the night has seen your mind
That inside you're twisted and unkind
Let me stand to show that you are blind
Please put down your hands
'Cause I see you

I find it hard to believe you don't know
The beauty you are

But if you don't let me be your eyes

A hand in your darkness, so you won't be afraid

When you think the night has seen your mind
That inside you're twisted and unkind
Let me stand to show that you are blind

Please put down your hands
'Cause I see you
-Lou Reed


And post this for your listening pleasure as well:



We started out slow, with a few small steps...


Performed a couple of fancier turns...



Some faster twists...


And the big finish!

As our first dance ended, our DJ started playing this song:


I had asked him to play a fast dance-y song (to get people pumped and out on the floor), but didn't specify anything, since I trusted his instinct. The song was perfect. I got really excited, threw my hands in the air and started to dance. I continued to dance for the rest of the night, stopping only to cut cake, hop in the photobooth and grab drinks.

For some reason, that Modern English song reminds me of our wedding more than anything. It just encompasses the party, the feeling, the mood, the everything (maybe because it is in "Valley Girl," and if I didn't marry B, I would have married Nic Cage as Randy). Whenever I hear it, I can't help but cry happy tears and want to get married all over again.

Did you think about the lyrics in your first dance, or choose it based only on danceability? We did both!

All photos in this post: Hazelnut Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment